Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Breaking free

Dear Energy Lady,
I really need some help.  I understand the concept of energy bodies and the quantum field, so now I'm trying to access both so I can make my life fun and easier.  The problem is that I'm a terrible meditator.  I either fall asleep or get so distracted by my thoughts that it just doesn't work for me.   Got any suggestions?

Signed,
Yearning to break free

Dear Free,
I am smiling as I write this, because you don't need to meditate to interact with either your energy bodies or the quantum field.  You do both at every moment of your life, just by existing in physical form.  Neither is separate from you; they ARE you, in different vibrations.

So it sounds as if you might be yearning for something else--perhaps  freedom from your thoughts, or a calmer, more loving, more joyful or more peaceful state of being.   The fact that you've been trying to meditate suggests this.

While it's true that steady practice of meditation can give you all of the above, some people are not willing to be patient while they build up the time they spend sitting in meditation.  You can trying doing it for one minute, then two, then three and so on, but again, if you have tried that and find it impossible, then let me tell you a story.

I was coaching a reporter from a newspaper who was doing a story on meditation.  He said he had tried everything to meditate, including some kind of virtual meditation using specially rigged glasses to show him images and distract his thoughts.  He said that nothing worked for him--his mind was just too active.

I explained to him that the traditional way of meditation might not be for him, since he was naturally curious about everyone and everything.  God does not expect a rose to behave like a leopard; or a sparrow to thrive underwater, as fish do.

So I asked him where he was as he was speaking with me.  He said he was in the newsroom, at his desk.  I asked him to describe his desk to me, and then--one by one--everything he saw around him.  I had him tell me the colors, shapes and smells; the sounds and conversations; the action and the stillness.  After a few minutes of this, I asked, "How do you feel now?"

Suddenly, he was quiet.  "Actually, incredibly relaxed," he said.  "How did you do that?"

I explained mindfulness to him, and added, "you need to keep your eyes open to relax--the 'dropping out' kind of meditation is just not authentic to you.  You have to be who you are, as you are now.  Someday, you might want to be quiet and still, but not at this point in your career.  Tune in to life, and you'll tune out the thoughts and feelings that are distracting you."

And I would say the same to you.  If you can't meditate in the traditional way, give up trying for right now.   That way might become easier for you in the future...or not.  In the meantime, figure out what gets you out of your head and into the moment.  Do you sing? Dance?  Write news stories?  Take photographs?  Run?   Everyone has something that feels completely natural to them--something that no one and nothing could stop you from doing.   You know it's the right thing for you because when you're doing it, your thoughts disappear and you feel peaceful and happy.

Find and do whatever makes you feel that way, and you'll attune your energy to the energy you want to bring into your life.   Respond to whatever feels easy and fun to you, and it will both unblock your energy bodies and open up more possibilities from the field.

Enjoy!

Love,
EL

No comments:

Post a Comment