Sunday, January 23, 2011

The son who wasn't in the refrigerator

I promised to tell you the story of the man whose son wasn't in the refrigerator, so here goes.

He was in the Take a Load Off! class, and we were just introducing ourselves.  "What do you do for a living?" I asked.  "Look at me!" he said with a laugh, pointing at a girth that was probably about 100 pounds more than he needed.  "I'm a chef.  And actually, I'm in the refrigerator about every 15 minutes.  That's my problem."

"Tell me about the rest of your life," I invited.

"Well, I have a 9 year old son," he said with a smile.

"Yes?  And what do you like to do together?"

"Well, he likes to go hiking."

"So where do you two go?"

He pointed to his stomach.  "Look at me.  I can't take him anywhere.  I'm too big to hike."

I didn't say anything else, but the energy of his feelings about this must have penetrated, because the next week, he was all smiles.

"I was thinking about what you said," he started, and I smiled because I knew he had done most of the talking.  "And a few days later, I was in the refrigerator for the 10th time that day and all of a sudden, I had an epiphany:  My son wasn't in the refrigerator! So I got the ingredient I needed, and closed the door without eating anything.  Then I went out and bought these."  He pointed to a brand new pair of hiking boots.

"I've walked around the block several times now," he said proudly.  "And my son is walking with me.  We're planning a trip next spring, and I'll be ready."

Sometimes, energy flows best when we focus on what we want, not why we can't have it.

I'll be out of town for a couple of days; more on Wednesday.

Until then, live Fullistically! (TM)

No comments:

Post a Comment